[Jacob-list] grass vs. grain

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Nov 20 09:25:28 EST 2001

I've been reading a lot lately about the advantages of feeding grass only and not grain, in terms of it being better for the ruminant's digestive system, what it was made to eat, and better, less cholesterol, more anti-carcinogens, int erms of meat for people.  Now, I'm wondering just why people started feeding grain to begin with.  ANd I have a few questions which I'd like to ask of those of you who feed only grass/hay:

1-Any difference in fleece quality?

2-Any difference in pregnancy difficulties: my sheep book says if you feed a lot of hay, andno grain, they have to eat too much for the space given, and will prolapse more often.  Perhaps that is just for standard bred sheep, which this book is oriented toward...aren't they all...

3-What advantages and disadvantages do you see to being a grass-fed animal breeder over hay/grain, at least in winter?Given our winters here, and the amount of snow, to go completely to grass/hay, I'd probably have to build a new storage facility,twice the size of the one I have now, to hold enough winter feed.  Right there is a disadvantage.  Or, perhaps if I got better hay, they wouldn't eat as much... Betty!