[Jacob-list] saving lambs

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 7 09:08:47 EST 2001

Royal's story brought to mind the saving of Frodo.  One morning I went to feed
to find one of my rams laying down tangled in the electric fence.
He was alive, but had no control over his muscles.  He was a literal ragdoll.
This was in the winter and we brought him in the house and warmed him by the
fire.  Yes, we have had a grown ram in the living room!  I gave him some
glucose and called the vet.
The vet diagonosed nerve damage and said if we could just keep him alive long
enough he might pull through. The nerve damage wouldn't kill, but the secondary
effects could.  I spent two weeks hand feeding and watering him.  He couldn't
move anything except his head (and then only to one side) so twice a day I
balanced him in an upright position on a hay bale and massaged and flexed his
legs for 45 minutes.
I was so happy when he finally stood up two weeks later!
Then his lambs were born!  Even barn blindness didn't work with these guys.  So
after all the work and money, it was off to Uncle Terry's for Frodo.  It was a
learning experience in more ways than one!

Linda
Visit our flock of Jacob Sheep
www.patchworkfibers.comwww.patchworkfibers.com

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:54:02 -0600, R Unzicker wrote:
>   About ten years ago I had a Tunis ewe lamb that  began walking funny.   As
she was the
>only ewe lamb from one of my  favorite ewes, I called the vet pronto.    He
suspected polio,
>took her to his lab overnight and began a regimented vitamin B  treatment.   I
brought her
>home two days later and continued to  give her vitamin B shots.   The vet was
very careful to
>give a  specific dosage based on weight.    He gave me prefilled syringes
 with exact
>dosages.   It took about 2 weeks but she eventually did  recover.   The vet
said it can be
>caused by shock and/or a very rich  diet.   Sounds like Neal and Fred know
what they are
>talking  about!
>
>Up to this point my experience had been that a sick  sheep was a dead
sheep.  But "Katrina"
>was special and so I decided to  part  with some of my money and try to
save  her.     The
>good news was that she survived.  The bad news was that she turned out  to be
one of the
>worst Tunis lambs I had ever raised  ( and from 2  fantastic parents).   I
kept her till
>breeding age and decided she was  not something I could in good faith sell
offspring from so
>after all that,  she  ended up at the slaughter house.    I did  not  think
the illness was
>the reason she did not turn out to be a good  Tunis.   I had noticed before
that she wasn't
>that great but I   had been waiting for years to get a ewe lamb out of this
particular ewe
>and so  just knew Katrina would blossom at some point.   (Nothing personal,
 Katrina Lafever!