[Jacob-list] Polio in sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 22:47:39 EST 2001

Pam, the ovine polio is a metabolic disorder and as Neal correctly points
out, it is a thiamine deficiency which can be treated with B1 if caught very
early.  Part two asked about heritability.  I am not a vet or a geneticist
but  this is what I think is going on.

Thiamine depletion (a thiminase enzyme won't release thiamin.. it remains
bound) might be caused by acidosis, too rich a grain.  This 'rich grain'
upsets the rumen...  a switch from lousy pasture to 'green lush alfalfa can
do it....  too much salt and mineral and no water can do it....  high sulfate
or sulphur intake and low fiber....  A sheep should produce enough thiamine
to keep its level of appetite in balance.  We can upset that balance in the
rumen very easily.

It is possible (but not highly probable) that a thiaminase enzyme gene is
improperly programed to bind the thiamin and not release it appropriately to
give the rumen the right pH ... but I would look first to environment issues
like diet.  If this ram has had any sibs or half sibs that have exhibited the
same symptoms and had a similar necropsy, then begin to look for a genetic
cause.

If the vet did a necropsy and opened the stomach cavity, she should have had
a strong smell of "rotten eggs" like the hydrogen sulfide generator in
chemistry.  This just got me to thinking about another evidence question...
was this ram barned or in an enclosed area with other sheep eating "high on
the hog" (sort of crowded in) for any length of time with little floor level
air circulation?

Fred Horak