[Jacob-list] surprise lambs/strange mother

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Wed May 30 19:47:42 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I thought we were done lambing 2 months ago, but last night our big Suffolk
ewe, whom we thought wasn't pregnant, gave birth to 2 lambs last night.  She
never looked or acted pregnant until a couple of days ago when I saw she had
made a milk bag.  The father is a Jacob ram and the babies are solid black,
except for a white patch on their heads.

My problem is this: This is the first time this ewe has lambed.  She is
showing good maternal instincts in that she licks them and is very responsive
to their cries etc.  However, she seems to be unaware of where they are in
relation to her own feet.  She has several times knocked them over and
stepped on them even with me there to try to keep them out of her way.  I am
surprised that they are still alive.  I cannot leave her alone in the stall
with them.  They are very small and not very agile yet.  I have to tie and
hold the mother in order to let them nurse in safety.  I am not sure what to
do.  Will she learn to be more careful in a few days, or do I need to go
ahead and take the lambs and raise them on the bottle?  I have heard that you
can't wait too long after birth to start the bottle or the lambs may not
accept it.  I would appreciate any advice given as quickly as possible.

Raising sheep is full of unexpected crises, each one a new learning
experience.  It is so good to have this list here to help out in situations
like this, especially for a new breeder like myself.

I had 2 non-Jacob ewes give birth this year, and both of them had problems
with figuring out what to do with their lambs.  It makes me really appreciate
the superior brains and mothering abilities of Jacobs.

Sharon