[Jacob-list] Weaning

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Wed May 30 08:02:21 EDT 2001

Hi Robin,
We usually wean in June to give the mothers an opportunity to rest and
build up before breeding in August.  Sometimes the lambs are returned or
if we are not breeding the lambs they stay in a separate pasture.  We
have noticed when we put the lambs in after a month or so, some will try
to nurse and some won't.  Of course, the ones that might not are the
Jacob, they seem to have long memories.  It just depends on the
mothers.  Only a small percentage may try to nurse or allow it. I would
say go ahead and separate for a month.
Edie, Joy Farm