[Jacob-list] soon to be mutton

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sat May 26 10:48:05 EDT 2001

I have had good luck using a bucket of water and a squirt gun to instill some respect in rams.
 I do agree whole heartedly with Joan F.  - you have got to begin your "attitude adjustment"
at the first small sign of aggression.  Sometimes that's when a ram looks at you and backs up
a step, pushs you out of his way at the feed trough, or just looks at you "funny."  It seems
to me that after a ram has started to actually charge you, there is no way to ever stop him
from continuing to try to dominate you.  He beat you once and he's going to do his best to
beat you again.

We like mutton much better than we like aggressive rams!

Linda B.

On Fri, 25 May 2001 20:29:33 EDT,  wrote:
>In a message dated 5/25/01 1:31:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LBBDVM at aol.com
>writes:
>

>Last night my ram charged me for what may be the last time.  (No, We do not
>treat him like a pet in any way!)  The last time he charged my husband, my
>hubby grabed him by the horns and threw him down.  Hubby has not had a
>problem since.  I am not a big person and this ram has at least 50 pounds
>on
>me so ram wrestling is not an option.  As a rule, I train my animals with
>positive reinforcement but I don't see that as a viable option for this
>problem.  I'm considering carrying an electric cattle prod and letting him
>charge into that.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>

>Cattle prods do work, but it is not the time to teach them what it is when
>they are already charging you. Train them to know in advance that it hurts.
>It only takes one or two "attitude readjustment" sessions for them to learn
>some respect.
>
>Joan Franklin

Check out our 2001 Jacob Sheep lambs at:
www.PatchworkFibers.com/lambs.html