first aid..Re: [Jacob-list] Trimming horns

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 15:30:57 EDT 2001

In a message dated 6/28/01 8:53:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
shepherdofspots at yahoo.com writes:

<< What's a spider web? Is it a kind of gauze bandage?

 Do horns grow at a "set" rate (like horse hooves), or
 does it depend on the individual sheep and their diet?

The spider web is the spider web that I find in the barn, on the back porch,
wherever.  A spider web is protein, sticky, and put enough of them together
they serve the same purpose as gauze.  We only use spider webs on horns and
horn trauma.  We found that the webs were light weight, placed a larger
matrix of material on the injury area than gauze, actually conformed to the
horn better than any material.  We have a lot of webs in the barn area
because I'm lazy.

Horns grow at a 'rate' that is controlled by stress; diet stress is at the
top of the list.  In the wild the stress is seasonal (lean winters); domestic
animals are stressed by us (shearing, changing diets, etc), weather (drought
and pasture etc)., stress events such as moving or even changing their social
order.  Keep an eye for breaks in fiber and changes in horn ring growth.  We
can see last summers drought (TX) in our ram horns.

You can also see changes in your bank balance that correspond with drought
periods. Fred Horak