[Jacob-list] PRIMITIVE TRAITS

Susan L. Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Tue Jun 26 18:52:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 Jacobflock at aol.com wrote:
> conservation efforts but was stumped when thinking of a definition of
> 'primitive'.

Hi, Fred --

You may remember (or may not, I suppose, but _I_ do!) a conversation
at the JSBA meeting, in which you kind of put me right on the spot when
I used the word "primitive" to describe one of my ewes in particular.
I blithely said that I think of her as the more primitive of my
bunch. "What do you mean by "primitive?" you asked me back.

Well, shoot. I thought I knew what I meant until then! So I babbled
on for a few minutes, trying to save my sense of self assurance. ;-)
But when I got back home, I asked for opinions on that from several
sources I thought might have better organized thoughts than I. Based
on some emails, and on my own understanding (and with a particular
thank-you to Ingrid Painter for this), let me offer, this list for
further discussion:

1. Primitive breeds shed their belly wool to the skin in summer.

2. Primitive breeds are often cow-hocked, and have slender (skinny!)
legs.

3. The loin is shorter and smaller than in improved breeds, because:

4. the rump is "set down" somewhat, meaning the anus and vulva are
not level with the backbone, resulting in

5. easier births; the lamb does not have to go upward to get out,
but can fall toward the exit.

6. Body fat is stored internally, around the kidneys, rather than
under the skin.

7. Primitives generally breed within a seasonal window.

8. Fleeces of primitive breeds are usually double-coated; Jacobs are
an exception to this example; primitive fleeces usually weigh less than
4 pounds annually.

9. Primitives are smaller sheep than improved breeds; ewes will
usually not weigh above 120 pounds.

10. Primitives are thrifty eaters, and will be happy, and healthy,
browsing a rougher forage than improved breeds.

I don't know if this reflects other people's understanding of
"primitive type," but the list is helping me look at sheep with an
eye to what I want.

Now just don't ask me too closely what I think I want! ;-)

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      		|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.