[Jacob-list] PRIMITIVE TRAITS

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 14:45:22 EDT 2001

Two weeks ago I received  an email from another "rare breed" conservator
asking several conservation questions about effective population/inbreeding,
etc. and, "is either (Jacob) organization promoting the 'primitve' type?"  I
responded that both organizations include the 'primitive' type in their
conservation efforts but was stumped when thinking of a definition of
'primitive'.

If there is a 'primitve' genotype, evidence might be seen in various breeds
and appropriately noted.  Can a definition of 'primitive' be constructed in
such a fashion that it includes expressions of the primitive genotype OR does
one already exist? ...'primitive' applies to many breeds...there is a genetic
basis for 'primitive'.  For example, I can remember some possible traits:

+Estrus: Some of you may recall Martin Dally's picture of 'primtive' estrus
cycles at the JSBA meeting; others may remember the JSC articles on lambing
months (some geographical observations).
+Hair/kemp/fleece: Presence of hair in the birthcoat?  Molting (with/without
cotting?)? (Ryder)
+Structure: Oval shape of the chest?  Gait?  Length of neck? Scrotum/Udder?
+Disease resistance: ?
+Parasite resistance?
+Maternal behavior: Parturition?  Lamb survival? Lamb agression?
Agression/passivity?
+Adaptable to wide environments?: Middle mangement vs. low management?
Pasture/grain rations and barn/open range questions?  Fixed/nomadic behaviors?

The purpose here is to try to think FIRST of possible 'primitive' traits of
sheep, THEN, which traits are observed in all Jacobs or other breed
(super-gene) or only in some Jacobs (certain lines) and thus arrive at a
working definition which may be important to conserving the Jacob and other
breeds, including its 'primitive' traits. Doemstic sheep are not wild sheep
but do wild sheep have 'primitive' traits?

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A 'PRIMITVE' LIST or CAN ADD TO A Jacob-List LIST or HAVE
IDEAS ON HOW TO BUILD A LIST OF PRIMITIVE TRAITS?

Thanks for your thinking abut this.

Fred Horak