[Jacob-list] Quirky Quilting

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Jun 11 19:37:30 EDT 2001

Whenever I've seen quilting here (and I will admit that I don't get to see alot of sheep so my
reference point is limited), I find that the *fiber* length is the same in both the black and
white.  The *staple* length is what differs.  Boiled down to the bone, I find the difference
to be in crimp or elasticity, the same as you are saying.
I wonder if the difference when it rains might be similar to what happens to naturally curly
human hair in high humidity?
Linda

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:18:39 -0700, Debbie Bennett wrote:
>I bought an adult ram during the summer and the first time it rained, he
>appeared to quilt. The black fleece appeared shorter, but could be
>pulled out to the same length as the white. The black in his fleece has
>more elasticity than the white. It might be interesting to micron test
>and see if its finer than the white. At shearing, his fleece is not
>quilted, the white and black staples are the same length.
>
>Debbie Bennett
>Feral Fibre
>
>On Sunday, June 10, 2001, at 05:02 PM, dave & katrina wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the 'gray' comments...  Lots of fun hearing other
>> breeders thoughts.  I had never heard of that the tendency of
>> twins that you noticed, Jeanne.  I will see if I notice it in our
>> sheep.  Interesting.
>>
>> Here is one more thread to throw out there.  Have any of you
>> noticed quilting changing year to year?  I have not seen much of this
>> trait in our flock, so haven't been able to follow it much, but I
>> did see one ewe develop a slight difference in length of colors after
>> her first shearing (showed none in her lamb fleece), but now this year
>> it seems to be growing out even again.  strange.  We also had a lamb
>> show some distinct quilting in her fleece, but it evened up later on
>> and now as a yearling is growing out even.  I remember a comment from
>> Janine Fenton about something she called 'lamb quilting', something she
>> made exception for...  I suppose this is what she is talking about?
>> Katrina Lefever
>> Chicory Lane Farm
>> http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm

Meet the new girls at Patchwork Farm - -
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/newgirls.html