[Jacob-list] horn stories - this one is sorta useless!

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Jun 11 19:53:53 EDT 2001

I've really enjoyed reading the horn stories.  They have brought to mind a horn story.  It's
not about a Jacob, but it confused and amused me so thought I'd share.

Back when we had Nearly Normal Naully, our Nubian goat, we had problems with her getting her
head caught in the fence.  I had not disbudded her and her back swept horns were always
getting caught.  She had a terrible habit of challenging the rams through the fence, then
charging and getting her head stuck.

I taped a piece of PVC to her horns and she became a four horned Nubian.  She quickly learned
to use the PVC to scratch her back - something all my Jacobs do.   When her "top" horns grew
enough that she couldn't get through the fence, I removed the PVC.

One day I say her laying down in the pasture swinging her head back - first slowly, then
frantically.  It kept up until she was actually throwing her entire body back and kicking out
her legs.  This was a spasm/convulsion like I'd never seen.  My experience and my reading had
in no way prepared me for what going on here.  I rushed out and she stood up and everything
was fine.  Scratching my head, I went back inside, only to see it repeated a few hours later.

The light bulb dawns - she had gotten used to scratching her back with the PVC and was looking
for her "laterals."

The other day someone said to me - "oh, sheep - they are like goats, but not as smart, right?"

Linda
Meet the new girls at Patchwork Farm - -
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/newgirls.html