[Jacob-list] Gray areas.

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 10:15:23 EDT 2001

It is interesting to note that the people who purchased Jacob and Shetland
fleeces from me in upstate New York were very attracted to the greyed Jacob
fleeces.  They saw them as a way to produce naturally mottled yarn without
all the machinations necessary with distinctinctly white and grey fleeces.  I
sold about 30 fleeces in all a year and could have sold twice the number of
greyed Jacob fleeces that I had.  I think that the greyed animals have a very
productive place in the flock even though you probably would not want the
majority to grey early.  You frequently make more money with beautiful Jacob
breeding stock--often the distinctly spotted animals.  The greying animals
gave me $30 a year for their fleeces and some sales to spinners flocks for a
lower price...but they paid their way and offered another dimension to
present to buyers.  I was trying to make the animals pay as well as
conserving the breed, so I thought a lot about productivity.

As far as genetics were concerned...it often seemed that if I had twins, one
was usually an early greyer and the other one had distinct spotting.  I
always felt that greying was linked to freckling.

Jeanne Massey