[Jacob-list] Gray areas.

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 7 19:40:49 EDT 2001

The early graying trait passed on to about 25% of the offspring if the
mother is an early greyer.  Have not used an early greying ram.  When
using non early greying rams, the trait seems to be easily diluted with
only about 15% of the great grand lambs having the early greying trait
if their dam was not an early greyer, but their grand dam was.
Personally, I do not cull against early greyers, but prefer not to use
an early greying ram so that I don't end up with everybody greying
early.  With an average flock age of 6 it is important to me to have the
early greyers as a minority.  I do love the resulting "greyed" fleeces
for roving.  Gives me yet a third color (black, white, and salt and
pepper).

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm