[Jacob-list] 'Useful' ram stories.

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Wed Jun 6 06:53:12 EDT 2001

Here's a story for the quiet list...
A week or so ago, we put our ram group in the back of our property in a newly-made paddock.  Beyond that paddock is another large unfenced area with long lush grass.  Joining the two is a temporary gate we rigged out of the fencing material...crude but we thought we would give it a try since they had plenty to eat on this side.  Pretty soon we found that the 'gate' was not sheep proof and that the boys were going into the back pasture at will. (although this is unfenced, there is really very little chance of them getting into trouble, so the risk was not too great.)  I was not sure how it was happening until pretty soon I saw our 4 horned ram, Abner, walk purposely up to the woven wire gate, insert his upper horns near the bottom and raise the wire off the ground.  He held it there while all the smaller guys slipped through, then slipped under himself.  I have also seen him using his horns as a tool to move cattle panels in order to get more hay in the winter.  If you have them, I guess it makes sense to use them!
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane Farm
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm