[Jacob-list] Horn trimming

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Mon Jul 30 10:56:42 EDT 2001

Use a wiresaw. I really think that if you use a wiresaw you will not try a hacksaw again. The wiresaw cauterizes as it cuts, which limits the bleeding to almost none. I try to think to get one from my vet so that I will have one on hand when needed. I most often do all work by myself, so I have to develop methods that work reliably. I pen the offending sheep against a panel with my knee and entrap the opposite horns through the panel. I select a place to cut on the horn where there appears to be a "break" in the horn growth. Often the horn still growing from the head will still be growing the correct direction, and cutting further out only means that you will have to repeat the process later. [Having previously thought to have tied the wire around 2 decent sized bolts,and  the wire should be 16 to 24 inches long.] Place the wire at the break and 2/3 the way around the horn. Pull back and forth on the handles[bolts] firmly and quickly until the horn pops off. It should smoke and smell like you have been smoking something illegal. I hope this helps next time. I generally se no bleeding with this method.

                                          Neal Grose