[Jacob-list] Comment on "American Jacob"/Breed/Landrace

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 00:07:50 EDT 2001

If we can generally agree that a Jacob (1) is a "dominant black, recessive
piebald, polycerate (horned in both sexes)" we have basically described the
Jacob as a breed and (2) is adaptable, parasite and disease resistance, has
good mothering ability, low or moderate management we further add to the
breed definition.  It is a two part definition of its genotype; a phenotype
(look) and behavior (performance).

I applied the term landrace in my earlier post by highlighting what I
consider the uniqueness of the Jacob(American) but did not define landrace.
The ALBC definition, which is close at hand, is simply "a livestock breed
shaped through natural as well as human selection. Landraces demonstrate a
high degree of environmental adaptation, fertility, and parasite and disease
resistance, but show less phenotypic consistency than standardized breeds."

A breed standard defines a breed, distinguishes one type from another.  Most
often it is done on 'looks'.  Sometimes it is done on genotype traits that
are not primarily related to looks.

The Jacob happens to be primarily defined phenotypically.  What other breeds
have the phenotypic expression of the Jacob genotype..."dominant black,
recessive piebald, polycerate in both sexes, medium tail"?  Many breeds have
one or another phenotype trait but not in one genotype.  So in a sense, we
have that baggage of phenotypic inconsistency to deal with before we get to
the rest the genotype.

Likewise, phenotypic diversity is not the same as genetic diversity.  I think
you arrive at a standardized breed when you can look at the sire and dam and
draw a rather accurate picture of the progeny before it is born...an element
of predictability.

Are breeds defined apart from phenotype?  I think there are some. Consider
breeds defined as "parasite and foot rot resistant".  There are no agreed(?)
phenotypic traits to distinguish the breed by horns or color although flocks
could be 'identified' among the original 400,000 sheep that ran 'loose' in
the 1930s-40s(?).  The test for this breed to meet the 'standard' might be
"dumping a load of parasites in the swamp and let the sheep live there for
six months".  Those that survive are true Gulf Coast Natives, Piney Woods, or
Florida Natives.  Perhaps all three 'breeds' are the same...but have
different names?  I think the Cotswold association has a unique 'breed
standard process' ; record all births, must have progeny records and only a
certain % get 'registered', others get dropped.  They have a standardized
performance criteria.  I may be off base but if a Cotswold breeder type out
there knows the facts, set me straight.

Fred Horak