[Jacob-list] FOR SALE: Jacob Rams

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 20 15:50:29 EDT 2001

I have two nice Jacob rams and some culls who I'd like to sell before
September, otherwise everyone goes to market.

Brutus is a JSBA registered yearling ram, about 75% black with strong.
black, widely spaced horns.  His mother has the longest, softest fleece in
my flock and Brutus' fleece is almost as nice.  His father was a lilac Jacob
so it is possible that he could pass on that trait to his lambs as well.
This year Brutus sired two lambs when bred to two of his half sisters (same
father).  Both lambs are well marked with nice fleeces.  I plan to keep the
ewe but the ram lamb is also for sale - see below.  Brutus is properly
respectful of people and receives minimal handling.  He is a smaller framed
Jacob than some which also helps make him fairly easy to deal with.

Brutus' son, as yet unnamed, is similar to his father in many ways but with
a bit less black, maybe 60%.  His mother was from a family of larger framed
Jacobs and he seems to be shaping up to be a larger boy than Brutus, but he
may not have quite as long a fleece.  He has not been handled much, although
his mother is one of my friendlier ewes so he comes to the fence with her.
With his good horns and nice markings, he shouldn't be any trouble to get
registered by JSBA.  His one eye patch is noticeably bigger than the other
though.

Also, both rams have some freckling at skin level.  I would sell either for
$125.  I would guarantee the registration for the ram lamb and handle the
paperwork to get that taken care of.  Either would probably make nice
purebred Jacob flock sires or even sires for a spinners flock as they should
pass on the dominant color gene and have nice fleeces.  My sheep are used to
high tensile electric fences and live with a llama as a guard.  I spin and
have selected for a nice wool quality, probably finer than average for a
Jacob. I can send wool samples.  My flock has been in Ohio's scrapie program
since 10/13/00 and everyone tested negative for OPP on that date as well.

I also have an unregisterable ram lamb that might be useful in a mixed
spinners flock as his fleece is nice, more the shorter and soft and crimpy
kind than the longer fleece type.  He is a twin out of my favorite chocolate
lilac ewe, around 10% lilac with bluish eyes and his horns are fused.  He
has good face markings, just not enough overall color and the horn problem.
I would like to sell him for $75.00.

I also have a wether lamb with pretty face markings and good 2 horns, but
not a lot of color and nice wool- he's Brutus' brother.  I meant to wether
the above lamb too, just waited too long.  This guy would be $75 as well.

I am located in Creston, Ohio, which is about an hour south of Cleveland.
Feel free to ask for more info too.  I have last year's registration
pictures of Brutus, but only baby pictures of the others, and I don't have
good pictures of the lilac ram lamb.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH
hettick.1 at osu.edu
There are some pictures of a few of my flock at:
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/hettick.html