[Jacob-list] "Scratchy Head"

Sugar Hill Farm sugarhillfarm at i2k.com
Thu Jul 19 12:07:30 EDT 2001

Hi all,

For fly strike, it's hydrogen peroxide.  The sooner you get to it the easier it is, I think.  You know the maggots start out about the size of a pin head.  And before you can see them moving, when just laid there, they look like off white sawdust.  Getting them at this stage is the easiest.

The peroxide doesn't kill them but causes them to let go...somewhat.  It's still a battle to get them to let go for good.  And they do burrow into the skin, sometimes under it.

Truly a gross situation.  Wish I'd never seen it or had to deal with it.  But it can happen to anybody.

Marcia
Sugar Hill Farm, Heritage Livestock
Jacob & Shetland Sheep, Wool Products,
American Bashkir Curly Horses,