[Jacob-list] colors

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Fri Jul 13 06:04:18 EDT 2001

In the past, when discussing colors, we have noted black wool that has greyed, or has bleached to brown or apricot, or that was "lilac" to begin with.....but does anyone have any experience with...Purple?!

OK,don't laugh......one of my ewes (from the Killorglin/PEI stock) is very dark (85%) and thoroughly grayed.  She is about 7 years old.  This summer, I've noticed a patch about the size of a football on her side that actually appears to be  red-violet.  Could this be a nutritional/health issue (She appears as healthy and frisky and normal as ever), as we have very poor pasture - high in some minerals (iron) and low in others (selenium)?

Or have others seen this purple sheen in their sheep?

thom