[Jacob-list] (no subject)

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 09:51:46 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/11/01 6:08:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jacobflock at aol.com writes:

> Perhaps
> someplace some differentiation between molting and shedding might be
> valuable.  I have sheared a dark ram that had cottted but, because it
> remained on the animal, I would not consider that shedding.  I'm slow to
> shear and if I waited for it to "molt away" the ram would overheat and die

Fred, molting and shedding are synonyms. If you want to split hairs (or
should I say "wool" in this case), then I believe the wool loosens, it
becomes itchy and irritating and then is shed by the sheep rubbing against
fences, etc. .

Joan Franklin