[Jacob-list] PRIMITIVE TRAITS

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 10:32:29 EDT 2001

> I want to apologize if I offended anyone by my use of the word
> "primitive". We were talking about "more" primitive or "most" primitive
> in our herds. I was thinking of "primitive" as a body type; smaller
> boned and more deer-like in appearance (narrow space between the front
> legs,  narrow body), as opposed to a couple I have that look really
> round (shorter loin) and have a large "leg of lamb" (shorter, more
> muscular back legs).
>
>  I wasn't confusing size with primitive as far as some being older than
> others at show, but I wasn't thinking in terms of primitive versus
> improved (ah, ha, the light goes on) I was thinking of BSG, but also of
> OFFF last Fall where my deer-like yearlings and a couple of someone
> else's smaller, fine boned Jacobs were at the end of the line.
>
> When the discussion was started the point I was trying to make was that
> "John Q. Public"  buys a couple acres and goes to a sheep show and he
> sees larger animals win the show and thinks that those are the ones he
> should buy and they may not give him better offspring than the smaller
> sheep that were further down the line.  Those of us who have been
> breeding for a while might take what a judge has to say, in stride, but
> John Q. Public thinks that the judge's word is all.

I have 120 lb ewe and an 80 lb ewe (good conformation on both, 60/40
coloring, decent wool, etc). If I were to put them in the show ring, you
wouldn't even notice the 80 lb ewe next to the 120 lb ewe. But, to place
a value on them, one over the other,  is impossible for me as they both
produce excellent offspring year after year.