[Jacob-list] Shows

Sally Durbin durbins at tristate.edu
Mon Jul 2 09:45:37 EDT 2001

RE:  Discussion of conservation and what judges choose

I have to agree with some of the comments that have been made
about watching the Jacob breed and disagreeing with some of
the animals that judges choose.

I think that has been what has been most difficult and made me
study harder -- I come from a background of judging livestock
in 4-H and FFA and what they teach us to look for and what
maybe we should be concerned about don't always agree in
the show-ring.  We must remember what we are breeding --
good mothers, strong lambs, wool and color quality, horn
quality, general structure and confirmaiton -- the primative
look -- they won't look like a show-ring lamb --
-- so when a judge that has been
juding meat animals comes to a Jacob class of sheep -- it
will be difficult to shake what they have been picking as
ideal -- that doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue to show
our Jacobs and promote the breed and knowledge of the
breed -- it just means that we need to be careful with
what judges tell us and if possible, once and a while have
a person that is informed on the jacob breed be a judge
for the jacob class (es).  The show-ring can be an
informative tool -- but it can also ruin some breed
characteristics if you let it --

A concerned breeder