[Jacob-list] Crutching

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 29 12:33:45 EST 2001

Hi Robin,
We have crutch in the past although many times the Jacob have not needed
it only the handspinning flock.  I like Royal's idea. We are fortunate
enough to have a fitting stand.  This enables us to walk them on it and
elevate it so we do not kill our backs.  The Jacob are usually friendly
enough that with a firm had under their jaw and maybe on e had at the
base of a horn they will move  relatively easy.  I usually clip the rear
around the vulva and down so i can get a clear look at the udder and
some on the leg to take any tags off so that the little lamb will not
mistake it for a teat.
Thankfully the last 4 years we have had enough barn space that we shear
a least a month before lambing in January and we can see it all.  It
sure saved a lot of work.  This year we had to shear in December and
they are still fine.  The weather here was such that they were colder in
the barns then out in their 3 sided sheds were they could be in the sun
and all crowd together for warmth at night.
Edie