[Jacob-list] Aged Jacob

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 28 11:42:06 EST 2001

Believe it or not, we had a ewe that was one of our first Jacob, Joy
Farm Hannah that was at least 21 o 25 years old when she died.
We knew she was at least 5 or 6 when we purchased her.  She had twins
and triplets every year until she was at least 16 or 17.  We noticed her
lambs were getting smaller at birth.  She was still giving triplets.
Her teeth were fine.  She began to develop arthritis and when the babies
were 4 lbs each we decided to stop breeding her.  This did not suit
Hannah she contrived to find the ram and break in.  The next year she
had  3 lb triplets and they all lived.  We became smarter than she and
she survived for another 3 years.  Her last year she could not keep up
with the other ewes at feeding time.  She wanted to nibble at her
leisure.  We then allowed her to roam the farm.  The arthritis became
worse and we would have to go out and lift her up each morning and then
she was fine for the day.  She was the farm greeter.  One morning we
went out and did not have to get her up as she had passed away very
peacefully.
Another note.  When our Jacob ewes become 5 -6 years old they seem to
triplet.  Its great.
Edie, Joy Farm