[Jacob-list] vets

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Wed Jan 24 09:31:54 EST 2001

I heard somewhere that in a lean pasture year, sheep produce more rams
(that way, if they don't all survive, it doesn't effect the population as
a whole, since not as many rams are needed as ewes to continue the herd).
And wasn't there drought and poorer grass/hay last year for most of us?

I feed and pasture my animals the same. I used an older ram over 6 ewes
and a ram lamb over 7 ewes. the older ram gave me 4 ram lambs, 2 ewe
lambs, one ewe miscarried and one didn't get pregnant, two sets of
boy/girl twins. The ram lamb produced 7 ram lambs and 3 ewe lambs, one
set of ram triplets and one set of boy/girl twins.

Six of the ewes I bred last year were first time mothers and 5 had a
single ram lamb, the other had a single ewe lamb. In prior years, as
well, I've noticed that first time mothers more often have a single ram
lamb.

I would say, for an experiment like this to be valid, you would have to
factor in the age and productivity of the ewes and divide them evenly
between the two rams.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre