[Jacob-list] Melanie's ewe

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Mon Jan 22 12:34:48 EST 2001

>But none of the feed stores have heard of this blue cattle calcium, is it a
>powder, or a drench, does it have a brand-name? Anyone know if it's
possible
>to just wang in a ton of human calcium supplement?

Melanie -

When I had this problem, I mashed tums (yes, the human antacid type tums)
into a paste with water and a bit of molasses for taste.  The ewe willingly
took it as I spread it on her tongue (as she mashed my fingers while
grinding her teeth.)  This particular ewe had gotten to the point of losing
the ability to move her legs (which is pretty far) , but we got her back to
actually standing and walking more quickly than I would have guessed

thom.