[Jacob-list] sheep stories

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Sat Jan 6 08:39:12 EST 2001

Here's another sheep story for everyone...thought the list could use some livening up...
Our pasture right now is divided up into a network of smaller paddocks which are connected to two barns, one quite large and the other more of a windbreak.  During the summer, we of course limit the access the sheep have according to where the grass is, etc but at this time of year we open the gates wide, let the rams run with the ewes, and give them access to everything.   A couple days ago, I entered the pasture near the house and yelled for the sheep.  Music was standing in front of the smaller barn, but the rest of the flock were back in and around in the larger barn. (Sorry words don't really suffice for this description.)  I yelled my customary "sheep, sheep"  and Music (who is fairly friendly although new to the flock) took one look and high-tailed it back around to the big barn, where she stood outside and yelled for the others.  The rest of the flock appeared and Music proudly led them all back to thru the smaller barn and into the pasture where I was standing.  I guess it would be easy to doubt if she really had that goal in mind, but it cracked me up to see how purposefully the whole thing happened.  Ah sheep...they are better than a TV on these long winter days.
By the way, do you have any lambs yet, Royal?

Katrina Lefever
Chicory Lane Farm
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm
...where not much has changed except one great winter picture added half way down the Jacob page.