[Jacob-list] Jacob tapes

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Tue Feb 27 19:55:30 EST 2001

>   It has segments including
>Ingrid Painter judging, shots of of Edd Bissell's and Luke Hardy's sheep, and
>a reading of Anita Evangelista's writing.
============

Luther and I tried to give a history as we knew it at the time of the tape
and it seem to me the more I hear people it was fairly accurate. -  - we
have tapes of flocks from  Mazie Hescock, Sue Thaxton, Dave and Betty
Hymans,  Bill Reynolds, Jackie Rodgers[from Oregon],Barbara Barclough,Evam
Meyes Lilac flock, Geoff Hatch flock in Wa, Charlie Humes from Il., Jacque
and Benji Lesseau flock, and of course the flock that I personally think is
by far the nicest Jacobs in the US - Ingrid Painters!!!!!  - also we tried
to locate and video most of the old flocks at that particular time - It
took me about two years to go to each place, video, take oral histories of
the flocks, etc.  Ingrid and Barbara took different Jacobs and told good
and bad points - they were able to pick out sheep from their flocks with
split eye lids, fused horns, cowhocking, etc.   they did this on a trip
that I took out west to visit the Painter, Barclough and Rodgers
places.  It was quiet interesting for me to see all of the old, primitive
flocks and compare them to others at the time.  Actually there are many
shots of Jacobs up in the mid west - several flocks in the area where Neil
Ketner lives -  I do not remember lots of the names of people that we have
visited thru the years. I really tried to get a video from Suzannah but was
never successful in doing that.  I feld that the Rockefeller [spelling?]
was a very, VERY important flock at the time of the tape without videos had
to leave it out. The tape is about 1 hour long and even though it is very
crudely made in todays standards it should give some of you out there what
things were like about 10-15 years ago.  Remember when looking at this tape
that these flocks are some that had been isolated for many YEARS - breeding
stock was not swapped around as much from the West and East coasts back
them - also had a tape that I sent to the JSBA of a trip I took to Scotland
to video some flocks - actually had one from a farm who had won the Royal
show with her sheep for something like 5 or 6 years in a row.

====

=====