[Jacob-list] Huge (pregnant) ewes

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Wed Feb 21 12:32:27 EST 2001

Not sure there is a good answer to the 'how huge is triplets' question, since it probably depends on the individual and how large the lambs are, but you reminded me of a good story that might be fun for the list on that topic.
We have one ewe here who is looking pretty huge also.  She has long fleece which has not been shorn yet this spring which only makes her larger. She likes to think she is the flock leader, but in reality she doesn't have the authority she would like.  She has this thing with our dog, Jude, a 1 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd.  Jude, unlike the rest of the flock, does recognize Belinda's authority & horns, and keeps a watch out for her.  One day, I was out in the pasture with the flock, and Jude was having the time of her life, running around pretending she is a sheep dog.  The sheep were pretty used to her and went on grazing.  However, apparently on one pass Jude tried to make near Belinda, she misjudged the distance and instead of coming up from behind and galloping right past the ewe as planned, the dog ran into and bounced off of Belinda's huge side.  Humiliating! Unbothered, Belinda looked over at Jude, who slunk off to play elsewhere.  I laughed for a good 10 minutes.
Katrina Lefever
Chicory Lane Farm