[Jacob-list] Rams: hay and grain

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 13:16:10 EST 2001

Fred here.  We have 21 rams in various paddocks. The largest group is 11 in
the southwest pasture.  Two are kept as singles; one group of 3 is out back,
one group of 4 is in a front pasture, one is still with a group of bred ewes.

A general observation about the various groups and hay/grain feeding.  The
largest group of eleven has been carried as three sub-groups: a few rams to
be used as sires, a half dozen that are part of the genetic study at Texas
A&M (lysosomal issues), a a few that we kept to see IF they would develop as
sires.  These are hayed in the normal regimen and I bring the hay cart in
with me every night.  They avoid me (say 6-8 feet is the closest) and follow
me with the hay cart....they also avoid urinary calculli with a forage diet.
When hayed and eating hay they are rather calm.

Over the past two months (Winter energy) I have started to grain...about 1/2
to 3/4 of a pound ("all grain", cotton seed meal, soy meal and wheat
(9/1/1/1) all natural...for winter energy and to "fatten several for the
knacker".  The dominant ram in the large group is the only one that tries to
approach me when I go in with the feed bucket.  I take an empty feed bag and
shake it at the group; 10 back off, 1 stays about four feet away.  He is the
one I watch.  They become aggressive in trying to eat the grain...(its like
candy to kids).  I put out grain for 11 but put it at fifteen feed
stations...they do a lot of milling around but there is less direct fighting
than when the number of rams equals the number of feed stations.

The two smaller groups of 3 and 4 are hayed only; the singles get hay and
some grain.  The smaller groups of 3 and 4 react differently to the hay; the
group of three do not push each other around, the dominant ram in the group
of 4 does push each of the others out of the way to get the "choice" piece.

Again, I always throw (depending on the size of the flake) at least one more
flake than the number of rams.   Hay has a plus over grain; they are far less
likely to get urinary calculi.

On the other hand, grain feeding is a good indicator of color genetics.  When
they fight over grain and cut each other's faces, if the hair grows back
black...they are dominant black.  Cut and abrasion repairs come in with the
dominant color.

Ain't easy keeping a flock of rams; down right dangerous keeping any males
around...political correctness.  Always be vigilant, never trust anything, be
prepared to avoid and/or defend.  Two years ago I was haying a ram group and
was chased by a ram after haying.  As I was leaving the field...eight feet
from the gate I heard or sensed the approach...took two steps and a jump and
went over a five foot pipe and mesh fence...not thru the gate.  I celebrated
my 62 birthday.

Seems that there could be an argument made for putting tractor tires upright
in the yard for both "aesthetic" and practical reasons.  Fred