[Jacob-list] Rams

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Thu Feb 8 11:16:00 EST 2001

I leave my goat buck, Scotty, with the does all year long. To alleviate
the "butting during feeding problem" he gets fed seperately in his own
dish. We trained him at this by dragging him to his own food and then
patting him on the rear if he went to the wrong place to eat. It took a
few weeks. Now he automatically eats where he is supposed to and doesn't
bother the girls. The upside is that he is a very happy buck, never
interferes with humans in his pasture (we always watch, but even when we
are attending a difficult birth, he takes the others and guards them at
the far side of the pasture), and is an excellent father. He plays with
his kids and even babysits while the moms go off to graze. He will accept
an extra buck in his pasture (eats next to Scotty, but has his own dish).
They butt each other, but never seriously, just enough to come to an
understanding that Scotty gets the majority of the girls (survival of the
species instincts? If I put three rams in there, would one get killed?).
Harnessing them tells us who and when.

I've been wondering lately if the Jacob rams are smart enough to be
trained in this way. The ram we used over the majority of our ewes this
year always ate seperate from them - he couldn't get his horns into the
majority of our feeders, so he didn't have a choice. And he behaved
himself all through breeding, but then we never tried to catch and do
anything to his women.

Just some thoughts,
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre