[Jacob-list] Rammed !

MView16 at aol.com MView16 at aol.com
Mon Feb 5 08:00:20 EST 2001

When I was at Cornell with one of my ewes (who had been overfed grain by my
non-shepherd husband) , the vet in charge told me that he saw no reason to
feed grain to primitive breeds of sheep, and most especially males...that
they did very well on a good grass hay, pasture, and minerals.  At first I
felt he was very wrong until I realized that the presence of me and grain in
a pen of Jacob or Shetland rams created behavioral havoc.  They either
attacked me or each other or their guardian donkey.  After I was knocked cold
by getting whacked in the throat by a ram (my sweetest one, by the way) while
I was bending down to feed him, I decided to try the no-grain advice.  The
rams were the picture of health, very fit, and much less of a problem.  I fed
hay over the fence as described by Joy Farm and always carried a "weapon"--or
stout branch with protruding sticks--when I walked about with the guys.  The
boys were so wary of me that once they were captured for any procedure, they
would act terrified and dead.  I did not trust them...and I'm sure they did
not trust me.

As for my ewes, I fed them only a cup of grain per day each in the 4 weeks
before and after lambing.  The lambs got a little grain in the 4 weeks after
they were weaned.  I purchased wonderful grass hay for all and have good,
improved pasture.  I had very healthy animals.

Jeanne Massey
Marsh View Farm