promotion of Jacobs w/out showing Re: [Jacob-list] Jacobs at Fairs

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 14:49:33 EDT 2001

I have knitted and crocheted items since I was a young
girl (some 40 years ago).  I LOVE having my own sheep
to provide fiber for my endeavors.

We have decided to show only at small 4H showmanship
(handling skills not sheep) & fiber shows (like Thom).
My flock is now OPP free, Scrapie Free (and part of
Federal program), and disease free. We also raise our
ladies & gents (we have a ram and one wether)
naturally, no "routine" vaccines here!  I was amazed
when I read all the "required" vaccines, health
certificates, etc. to show at the State Fair!

I am working to promote sheep as fiber producers is to
work with a local Scout Troop and the 4Hers, teaching
the young ladies (and gents if they are interested)
the basics of knitting and crocheting.  As part of our
study, they will come here to the farm and see the
sheep, see a video on how wool is processed (I bought
it from a wool processor, wonderful tool!), and then
demonstrate spinning with drop spindle and spinning
wheel (this winter's project, learning how).  I will
also discuss with them weaving (ponchos, blankets, and
cloth) demonstrating with a tri loom, and have them do
some basic weaving with "looms" made from shoe boxes
and string (very primitive, but does teach the
concept) to make a bookmark or headband.

I am also working with the Craft Yarn Council of
America to become a Certified Knitting Instructor.

There is much renewed interest in these "old
fashioned" pursuits!  I'm glad!

Joy T.

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm