[Jacob-list] Jacobs at Fairs

Dr. David R. Lincicome wheaten at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 27 13:58:43 EDT 2001

1225 hrs/Monday 27 August 2001

You are so right.  In comparative judging just because an animal wins a
blue ribbon or a championship does not automatically make that animal
worthy.  It merely means it was considered the best of the group of
animals present for the judging.  Not many appreciate this fact.

There are many other ways to promote and educate the public other than
in the comparative show ring.  I have touched upon this in talks and on
paper frequently but seldom do I find serious listeners or readers.

One of those ways concerns the Jacob wool.  There are so many uses for
the various qualities of Jacob wool.  In my own collection I have a
sports jacket I had tailered, several ties, a blanket, a decorative thro
for my Bechstein grand piano, a decorative wall hanging; I also have 3
wool paintings done by an English artist, one large oil painting of a
Jacob ram, and 1 large water color study of an ewe with 2 babies plus
one small oil painting of a Jacob ram.   In addition I have a limited
edition reprint of a painting of a flock of Jacob sheep in England in a
winter scene. All these decorate the walls of my home.

Would like to see a national dialogue on ways and means of promoting
Jacob sheep without showing in the comparative show ring.  Maybe this
will give a boost!

David Richard Lincicome, Ph.D.,PAS, DACAP
A Founder, Past Registrar and Past President, Jacob Sheep Conservancy