[Jacob-list] 4h & Jacobs

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 13:04:39 EDT 2001

My kids are Cloverbuds (ages 4 - 8) They can show at
small 4H local shows, but only in showmanship classes,
only with ewes or wethers. I don't believe any rams
are allowed at our 4H shows. The Cloverbuds can show
sheep, goats, and horses, but not cows until they are
older.

Good luck sorting things out.

Joy T.

--- "Black, Tiar and Jason"
<theblacks at interisland.net> wrote:
> I thought that I had sent this to the entire list  -
> sorry for the repost Betty....
>
> The rule does not apply to open class sheep just 4H
> and it was imposed by the 4H people not the fair
> board so I am not sure what they are thinking. It
> could have something to do with the old ram that
> Betty Heiman used to bring to the fair - he was mean
> when he was young and maybe that's what they are
> thinking about - who knows. I guess I had better not
> tell them that he is the father to all of our lambs
> this year : > Anyway we would like our daughters to
> participate in 4H but we do not raise the big sheep
> anymore and I really don't want to get back into
> them - much to my husbands dismay. He is a butcher
> and likes the meat qualities but I truly believe
> that "when they bred the meat in they bred the
> brains out" ( to quote my own words). Sorry if I
> offended anyone who does raise the big guys - they
> just aren't for me and I love my Jacobs. You can bet
> that I will be checking out other counties and I
> will certainly turn in my findings to our leaders
> council and fix this once and for all. She really
> can't show until she is in 3rd grade and she is just
> going into 2nd right now so I have plenty of time to
> fix it. Thank you all for your responses. You have
> given me the answers I needed (and wanted ) : >
> Thanks again
> Tiar Black
> ZLazyJ Farm
> Friday Harbor Wa