[Jacob-list] Jacobs and 4H

2512 at nethawk.com 2512 at nethawk.com
Sat Aug 25 23:30:28 EDT 2001

Joan wrote:
< I also might add that I have several orders
from 4-H parents for Jacob lambs next spring to show in 4-H. Maybe we won't
be able to 'spot' Clay so easily next year.>

That is nice to hear Joan.  There is such a low interest in sheep at our
fair that we are hoping to get renewed interest in any types of sheep in
general.  I think we only have about 30 to 40 total.  Our fair is NOT open
to change, but they are getting more accepting of us non-conventional folks!
We brought llamas this year too.  That was a tough one to get them to let us
bring in. They wouldn't hire a judge or even let a volunteer judge it. They
say we need 3 different families to bring them.  I hope they don't think
that will stop us.  They are suspicious of anything different.  I am sure
they say at the fair board meetings-"what will those people want to bring
this year?"  Actually we are thinking of our Alpacas and a minature horse.
<ggg>

There was a post about not allowing horns at the fair?  Go to the livestock
commitee meetings and ask for more information.  The only horned animals
they do not like at our fair are adult buck angora goats.  We had 2 horned
ewes there the past couple of years and no problems.  What does your fair do
if a horse kicks someone?  Seems to me that is much more dangerous than
horned sheep.  Ask questions and maybe they will make some changes.

Bonnie