[Jacob-list] Jacobs at fairs in general

2512 at nethawk.com 2512 at nethawk.com
Sat Aug 25 15:45:12 EDT 2001

> If you will consult the last issue of the Journal of the Jacob Sheep
> Conservancy you will find an article on why it is not in the best
> interest of the Jacob Breed to show them comparatively.
>
> David Richard Lincicome, Ph.D.,PAS, DACAP
> Guest Scientist, USDA

Thank you for your opinion.
I guess you don't understand 4-H.  Maybe you should consult your 4-H manual,
children need to learn there are more types of sheep than suffolks, and they
need to care for their project animal, thus the fair allows them to have
some goals and responsibilty.  This list, last I knew, had people that show
their Jacob sheep as well as some that choose not to, be it fairs, state
shows or otherwise.  If you don't want your sheep going to the local 4-H
fair with your children then by all means, don't.  I have a feeling that the
article you are referring to has to do with "breed improvements" or
something along that line, and our tiny 4-H fair doesn't require the need
for improving our little flock. It is about the child being recognized for
their project regardless of whether or not it is just like everyone else's
or not.  You are comparing apples to oranges, but that is a whole different
story.
Bonnie