[Jacob-list] horny question :o)

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 10:54:51 EDT 2001

> Feeding practices seem figure predominately in horn breakage (just my
> very humble opinion).
>
> Linda

I agree. Most of my ewe lambs have already broken a horn or two. It
happens during the morning feeding frenzy. However, I've never had a ram
with a broken horn, whether 2 or 4 horned (maybe because rams don't get
grained and I put out a separate flake of alfalfa for each ram?).
A retiring breeder told me: use 4 horn rams two or three years and then
use a 2 horn ram, keep the four horn offspring from him and it will keep
the 4 horns strong. Don't know if this works, as I've only been breeding
Jacobs for four years, but its a plug for those two horn rams that are
much harder to sell!

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre