[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Fri Aug 17 12:43:28 EDT 2001

Mary Ellen's kitten story reminded me of a picture I saw of a kitten all
nestled down on the back of a sheep who was laying down.  Do those of you
with cats find them doing this in the winter?  Our Jacobs chase cats out
of their meadows or barn areas - but we did have an interesting situation
with a goose.  At one time we had a pair of geese, Phares and Phreda, in
with the sheep.  In the spring Phreda would deem a corner of the shed
suitable for her nest and every day she would enter the shed to lay an
egg - and Phares would stand guard outside and not permit anybody else to
enter.  However, as this went on regularly, Phares  became bored with
defending the doorway and became more obsessed with the fact that his
mate was involved in an activity that didn't involve him.  It appeared
that he sort of sulked and pouted  about this, and then he would
resolutely march over to Anna, our old Fieldwood ewe,  and climb up on
her back (she was lying down, obviously) and Phares would carefully
arrange himself and get comfortably bedded down....and Anna didn't mind a
bit.....just contentedly continued to chew her cud.    He never pooped on
the fleece (a miracle in itself, as that is what geese do best!!) and he
would content himself there until his "love" returned from the shed, and
then they would amble off through the meadow -- again a complete pair!!!

Sue
Stonecroft
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.