[Jacob-list] Re:sheep minerals

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Fri Aug 17 10:21:37 EDT 2001

You might check with you mineral supplier [if they actually know anything about sheep] as to the source of the copper. Some minerals are formulated with copper that is inaccessible to animals. This can be a problem both to the cattle that need that copper and the sheep that don't. We have had problems with copper toxicity in the silver longwools but never with the Jacobs. The first we saw of it, it took several competent vets and necropsies to figure out what was going on, but once you see it you'll know it from then on. We only see symptoms at lambing. The sudden call for metabolic resources causes a release of copper from the liver that wipes out the sheep's systems. NOT something to fool around with.
                                           Neal Grose