[Jacob-list] Jacobs at fairs in general

Yvonne Hart spottingchances_jacob at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 08:51:23 EDT 2001

Here in West Michigan, our fair is 98% club lambs-sound familiar?  My son took a Jacob out for showmanship, and was snickered at.  I was told by someone that fiber sheep showmanship is different from meat breeds'. It appeared to me that the judge (that openly stated she had no knowledge of the Jacobs)  was handling my son's sheep like she  was checking its meat. How that was possible with a good three inches of wool on it, I do not know.  Is there a difference between fiber animal and meat animal showmanship?

I have requested of our fair board that they open up fair to Jacobs and wool breeds.  Currently, there is only "any other breed" in which fiber animals can be submitted. This year they judged our sheep against a Corridale cross, and gave us second.  Do Jacob owner's generally have these problems?  We're so discouraged about what has happened over the last two years, it's going to take alot of persistance on my part to get my son willing to try it again.

Yvonne Hart