[Jacob-list] Re:Lilac / fadeing

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 21:59:53 EDT 2001

NLGrose at Yadtel.net writes:

> . Not only are we not agreeing on what lilac is, we do not seem to have good
> Could Jacob black be due to a repeat of the
Extension locus?

I don't have any answers, only questions in the hope of finding answers. In
browsing through Ingrid's book today, I found this by Phil Sponenberg (p 86):
He says there are both dominant and recessive blacks in Jacobs, as in nearly
all other black breeds, with dominant black being the most usual for the
Jacob.

On lilacs, he says those he has followed, when crossbred, have produced lambs
in a pattern that would indicate they do not have the dominant black gene.

> part of the reading of the gene?

That is what I'm asking. The ram that greyed so badly is not a lilac. He
carries the lilac gene. If his heavy greying is not from his lilac sire, then
I don't know where it came from as none of my other Jacobs have been early
greyers.

Joan Franklin