[Jacob-list] More: White horns

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Mon Apr 30 19:34:49 EDT 2001

Checking the early archives, Janine fenton had mentioned that striped-to-striped breedings tend to produce a greater incidence of white horns.  White horns are not registerable as they are a frequent result of cross-breeding, but apparently they also result from some heavy stripe-to-stripe breeding among pure Jacob stock.  The easiest solution is to not breed striped animals too hard together before going back with a black horned animal.  As stated earlier, striped horns do often look white for awhile in lambs.

The Jacob Research Project has collected some interesting information on the striped coloring in hooves. So far, it appears that front hooves tend to be the lighter of the hooves on the lambs and the back ones darken quicker.  It is quite common that in the baby files coming in to the Research Project that lambs have white or striped front feet and then striped or black feet on the rear. (I just ran out to check seven of my own lambs, and this held true for all seven!)

thom