[Jacob-list] weekend trip

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Mon Apr 23 19:25:05 EDT 2001

Edd, I could not agree more.  I went to the Lolli Brothers Sale in Macon,
Missouri two weeks ago and was very impressed at the quality of the ewes and
lambs.  Macon always has nice horns, but I think the number of good quality
ewes at extremely low prices was higher than normal.  bottle baby ewe lambs
sold for $200.00 with no papers(petting zoo market).  ewes with ewe lambs
sold for less than $100.00.  The people buying the pairs kept the ewes in
the ring to sell them by themselves and they sold for $40-50.
Nice mature rams sold for $200 and more.  The rams were unshorn(makes them
look wilder and better for the shooter market), while the ewes were shorn.
I talked to the guy selling bottle babies and he said he pulled them from
the ewe at about one week old to sell to the petting zoo market.  These
lambs were about three weeks old at the time of the sale.  The male lambs
sold for $50-100 with no apparent concern for background or horn potential.
Babydoll Southdown lambs sold even higher.
I Know of quite a few old time Jacobs breeders selling all of their sheep.
Does anybody have any idea if the total number of Jacobs breeders is
increasing or decreasing?
Mark Essen
Famous Acres
6701 County Road 353
Fulton, Mo.  65251
(573)642-0350
messen at socket.net
Jacobs 4-Horn Sheep, Pygmy Goats, Pyrenees, Peafowl, Highland Cattle, Yak,
Emu, and Fallow Deer all living together in the Kingdom of Callaway