[Jacob-list] weekend trip

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Mon Apr 23 07:19:27 EDT 2001

Well, nostalgia is still alive and well. A fellow sheep buddy, who was
looking for Border Leicester {spelling} took a trip up to northern Ohio -
stopped with Luther two nights, went to the Wood/Waters sale/ picked up
some turkeys, swapped a Shetland ewe, etc.  Saw 3 VERY nice 4 horned Jacob
ewes at the sale - Luther bought one of them for a friend of his. Price
were in the VERY reasonable range. My friend bought a very pregnant Jacob,
strong, two horned ewe,  We had crossed several of the Hescock ewes over a
Horned Dorset ram of his several years ago and he still have some of the
old xbred ewes left - and they are still throwing b/w after 4 generations -
but the have the HD type horns in the ewes - he said he never did have any
4 horns out of them.

I saw several people who I had dealt with thru the years - ran into Bill
Reynolds - we had a very lengthy conversation about Jacobs, the history of
his flock, etc.  This should be interesting to several on the list esp ME -
He bought his sheep from a Dr Fell who lived in Rockdale, In - the  Dr  was
originally from Celina, Oh - he said he had always thought his sheep came
from Neb because the Dr told him that they came from the Lincoln Zoo - but
I feel sure that there were from the Lincold Park Zoo in Chicago.  He also
said the Charlie Humes had died about 3 weeks ago. He also gave me an oral
list of those that had bought sheep from him thru the years - Suzanna
Davies, Russ Miller, a Mr Zoder in Michigan, Neil Ketner, the Lesseaus,
Charlie Humes, Evan Meyers, Dave Hale of the 5 H Ranch/sale in Mo, MaryAnn
Nebuling, Allen Zwickie and Geoff Hatch bought a total of 60 sheep -
primarily ewes with their lambs. - so looks like most of us have Reynolds
blood in our sheep - seems as if unless your sheep are pure Hescock,
Canadian in origin OR came strictly from the West Coast that the Lincoln
Park Zoo importation played an extremely important part of the early
breedings in the Eastern US

The trip and especially the WW sale to me should tell some of you out there
that were still looking for what I consider good quality Jacob ewes that
they are still out there somewhere and at VERY reasonable prices.  There
were some two horned, smaller type ewes that came thru with lambs that were
probably Lanham breeding - Luther said the guy who brought them in was a
friend of his.  So getting into the Jacobs for some out there with desire
but a limited income is still within reach - and I am talking about GOOD
LOOKING stock - but if you have to have histories, bloodline information,
etc then save yourself the trouble and stay away from the sales - Luther
and I both said that we would have KILLED 20 years ago for stock like what
we say this weekend.

===

Edd Bissell
New Market, Tn.