[Jacob-list] Hunched ewe.

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Apr 23 18:58:14 EDT 2001

Hi Katrina

Juliette de Bairacli Levy was at a local herbal faire a few years ago.  I didn't attend as the
crowds there overwhelm me.  But a neighbor did go and brought me back the book -
autographed no less.  I'm a firm believer in "do no harm" in my home remedies and find alot of
information there.  A sidebar here, I have a number of herbal books (and a veterinarian and
personal doctor that will discuss herbs with me) and always check for possible ill effects
from anything I use.

The book is very big with dairy goat herders around here. When I have an udder question, I
find that I get alot of information from my dairy goat friends. If you think about it, these
are the people that check udders every day and really can't afford a problem.  Someone
mentioned to me that some of the dairy goaters swore by aspirin for udder inflammation.  My
Nubian would eat anything I handed her.  If I yelled "don't eat that" she would eat faster!
Sheep are not so easy to dose.  Once I wanted to give some aspirin to a ewe and, of course,
she wasn't about to wolf it down.  I crushed the aspirins in a mortar and pestle, mixed it
with enough cane molasses to bind it.  Then scooped it up onto a plastic spatula.  It was
really easy to just stick the spatula in the ewe's mouth, hold her muzzle closed and remove
the spatula.  I am not advocating you give your ewe aspirin - just thought I'd share an easy
way to give pills.

Linda

ting and think it would