[Jacob-list] Hunched ewe.

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sat Apr 21 19:22:48 EDT 2001

I'm not especially experienced in sheep medical care, but I think that a sheep standing
hunched indicates some level of discomfort.  I'm not sure that you can pinpoint the area of
discomfort (or pain) just by seeing one hunched up.   I'll see it sometimes when the sheep are
out in a hard rain - the lambs don't want to be out there but won't leave their dams. They are
not in pain, just miserable.  Once I had a lamb that was standing hunched and turned out to
have been in the red ants.  His belly was seriously bitten. My ewe that was tossed by the goat
stood hunched for months as she had some hip damage.
Hope she gets better!
Linda

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:38:47 -0400, dave & katrina wrote:
>    Question for those out there experienced  in sheep medical care.  Our sheep are all
>out on pasture now and looking  happy and healthy.  The robustness of the flock makes a
two
>year old ewe  (with twins)  stand out and make me wonder if something is up with  her.
>She is walking around kind of hunch-backed, is a  little hollowed in at the sides and walks
>little stiffly, but  otherwise is fine..lambs are fine and healthy, seems to be eating well
>but I  just have a sense there is something funny about her.  She has always  seemed a
little
>bit hunchbacked (arrived at our place last fall) but noticed  before she birthed she was
>standing distinctly hunched (sorry can't come up with  a better term)... She also limped a
>bit at that time (that probably was a  pregnacy thing), but it seemed to pass and she
birthed
>her lambs about a month  ago without problem.  Seemed to be doing fine.  Today I was
>watching her in the pasture and she was off alone with her lambs and again  was standing
very
>hunched.  Something seems amiss, but have no clues from  our prior experience.  She
has been
>tested neg for OPP.  Any ideas? By the way, the rams seemed especially interested in
her
>today.
>
> Horaks, just curious about the  symptoms of the Lysosomal condition you are
following...I
>realized I have no idea what the symtoms are that you are watching for.   Doubt this is
>related, of course, but just curious.
> Katrina  Lefever

Check out our 2001 Jacob Sheep lambs at:
www.PatchworkFibers.com/lambs.html