[Jacob-list] FMD

Richard S. Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Apr 18 22:22:39 EDT 2001

Tonight our local newspaper, the New Era published in Lancaster, PA, had
the following headline on the front page - top of the front page -
"Worried and waiting"  - referring to the local farming community and the
potential for foot and mouth disease.  Our state's director of  the
Bureau of Animal Health, Dr. John Enck, Jr., was the speaker at a local
meeting, and he stated our county is particularly susceptible to FMD
because of the high density of farm animals AND the many tourists who
flock here each year to observe the Amish.  (Agriculture & tourism are
major industries here.)  Pennsylvania's plan if FMD is found here is a 6
mile quarantine ring around an infected area and all animals in that area
would be slaughtered - and another surveillance ring reaching up to 40
miles would be set up and animals in this area could be vaccinated OR
slaughtered.  Our state ag. dept. would be the first responder, as it
would be take 3-4 days for the USDA to get involved.  According to Enck
farmers would be paid market value for their lost animals.  State fairs
have not been cancelled but would be if there is an outbreak
(obviously!).

This article was the first major, local article I have seen here......and
not real comforting.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft