[Jacob-list] Triplets

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 12 16:23:46 EDT 2001

We have had quite a few incidents of triplets with our Jacob.  Usually
it occurs as the ewes reach 5 or 6 years of age.  Most often the mothers
take excellent care of all of them.  We have sometimes offered
supplemental bottles to which ever of the triplets seem hungry.  At
least for the first week or two.  I can only remember of 3 times in all
the 15 year that we were taken up on our offer.  We had one runt out of
all of them.  That one was out of a 20 year old ewe, believe it or not,
who we thought we had kept away from being bred.
We knew she was at least 15, one of our original ewes whose birthdate
was undetermined.  We later found out through a photograph that she was
much older.  The triplets birth weights were small, 3, 3.4 and 4 lbs.
each but they were very spunky.
We have had triplets in all 4 of our lines so it was not particular to
one.
We do grain feed some during the year as New Jersey summers tend to be
without rain in our area.  We watch the storms go up the Delaware.
Our first one to lamb this year was a 7 year old Joy Farm Salem.  Here
udder looked like a 2-gallon a day goat udder. and she delivered 3
beautiful ewes.  What a way to begin.  I have a picture of her udder.
it was unreal.
They have all done well and are with in a .5 lb. of each other.
It is exciting when the ewes reach 5 as you know you will have twins and
maybe a set of triplet or two.
Edie, Joy Farm