[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Sun Apr 8 15:17:23 EDT 2001

>Has anybody decided if they want to trade or not and i
>will need a picture before i decide to or not

Dear Matt,

First, as I have never seen your name until recently, welcome to the list!

Second, many breeders find that trading rams is often a great way to
increase their genetic pool without having to puchase a new ram.  It can be
partiuclarly helpful for owners of small flocks.

As a matter of advice, though - and speaking largely for myself - I know
that I would want to know ALOT about any such ram.  For instance - is this
ram regsitered with either the JSC or JSBA?  What are his bloodlines?  Is
your flock OPP-free certified?  What can you tell us about his fleece, his
color patterns, the color of his hooves and horns and eyes? Has he served
you well as a capable breeder? If so, what kind of offspring has he
produced?  How old is he?  Do you know anything about his dam and sire?
What is his personality like?  Is there a picture of him somewhere on the
web?

To be honest, I am not interested in trading at the moment, although I would
always consider such an arrangement.  However, I know my animals *very*
well, and I like it that way.  I would want to kow just as much about any
animal for which I traded.....and, I would want to know just as much about
the farm to which my own animal was heading.  I won't sell - or trade - an
unknown quantity.

I would suggest that you hang around the jacob list for a while, and join
one or both of the responsible breed associations.  Read up on those subject
areas in which most breeders are keenly interested, and get involved with
them.  Since breeding season is many many months away, you should ample time
to locate a trade, if it's meant to be.

Good Luck!

thom simmons
creaganlios farm